UK ME/CFS Biobank inclusion and exclusion criteria
(Please note that currently recruitment is CLOSED for this study)
- Aged 18-60 years.
- ME/CFS cases must have a clinical diagnosis using CCC and/or CDC 1994 criteria.
- MS cases must have a confirmed diagnosis made by an NHS consultant neurologist according to NICE guidelines.
- Informed consent given.
- Recent (in the preceding 3 months) use of drugs known to alter immune function (e.g. azathioprine, cyclosporine, methotrexate, steroids), use of anti-viral medications, or vaccination (e.g. ‘flu).
- History of acute or chronic infectious diseases such as hepatitis B and C, tuberculosis, HIV (but not herpes virus or other retrovirus infection).
- Other severe illnesses (e.g. cancer).
- Psychiatric diagnosis (e.g. schizophrenia or severe mood disorder, such as current severe depression).
- Pregnant women and those within 12 months’ post-partum and/or currently lactating.
- For MS cases, conditions other than MS that could explain their chronic fatigue.
- For “healthy controls”, current or past fatiguing illness and/or other major morbidity.